Pages

Monday 8 February 2010

CrossFit Ireland Invitational February 2010


This past weekend, I made the trip to CrossFit Ireland in Dublin for my second invitational. I arrived really early on Friday morning ( 7.30am ) and spent most of Friday helping shift equipment, write up the score board, get the gym ready for Saturday. The gym is a fantastic place for both MMA and CrossFit.

Friday night was also the now compulsory pre invitational cinema/ice cream trip with Ruiari and Colm, but we also had a trip to a fantastic restaurant where you build your own burger!


Saturday morning was the usual mix of nerves, excitment and trepidation of what was to come during the day. The workouts were known since last Thursday but I was starting to try and figure out how to take them on.

The first workout was a tabata mash up of 100kg deadlifts and chest to bar pull ups. I played it very easy on this one, getting a max of 6 reps on the deads and a low score of 3. I cant remember my scores for the pull ups but missed a few reps by not getting full ROM. I came last in this event but was just happy to not wreck my back

Second event was AMRAP 10 mins of 3 hang squat snatches, 6 toes to bar and 9 calories on the rower. I scaled this back to 30kg as my back was really tight after the deadlifts. I managed 6 full rounds and was 7 calories off the 7th round when the buzzer rang. My right shoulder was a bit funky after it. I moved up from last place to 14th.


Now the last workout suited me down to the ground -

3 rounds of
1min thrusters 45kg
1 min box jumps
1 min kb swings 24kg
1 min rest

Because of my standing after the 2nd workout I was in the first heat, so didnt have any idea how to pace it or what kind of score to aim for. So I just went for it. I totalled 175 reps at the end of the workout which was enough to win the workout outright. I just clocked up the reps and tried to not stop too often. I also had some great encouragement for Tony from CF Ireland who was my judge and Dominic from CrossFit Central Manchester.


The guys that were placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd put up some impressive numbers and absolutley killed all 3 of the workouts. As usual, CrossFitters are just very cool people - I had a fantastic time during the day of the invitational and also that night at the meal and then at the pub. I was a weak performer though as I headed back early after just a couple of pints

On Sunday I had a fantastic tour of Dublin with Ruiari and Colm- visiting Trinity College, Temple Bar, the Guinness Storehouse and then a trip up the bay to Howth for a meal before getting dropped off at the airport. More photos to follow
Posted by Picasa

No comments: